Perfect Bound Books
Publications are made through a variety of printed processes; books, magazines, reports and manuals serve a purpose and the binding of the publication is critical to the publisher and the reader. The appropriate collecting of the pages and cover provide the reader with the expected results, improper binding may leave the reader frustrated and oftentimes abandoning your publication.
Publishers and printers alike understand the three factors for providing a positive reader experience; print, finish (binging & processing) and delivery. Obstacles within any factor could have your reader abandoning the experience and possibly inviting a negative reaction.
Binding the publication (aka: finishing) can be accomplished by numerous processes, each serving a purpose; whether it be cost, convenience or presentation. Finishing a publication is the process after printing, where the paper is folded, attached to all accompanying pages and trimmed to the appropriate size. The binding method is the second most important aspect, only behind the printing.
We offer numerous processes to bind publications:
- Perfect-Bound – squared spine, found in books
- Saddle-Stitch – metal staple in the spine, found in magazines
- Spiral-Bound – coils or combs woven thru pre-punched holes, found in manuals
- Plockmatic – a unique binding incorporating saddle-stitch and square spine technology, found in some newsletters
- Paste-Bound – gluing two sheets (printed on both sides & folded to make 8 pages) at page two and three, found in some brochures
- Tape-Bound – squared spine with tape securing the pages and cover together, found in some books
Of our binding options, perfect bound is preferred for self-published books, annual reports, training manuals, and educational books. We recommend it for all publications seeking a higher quality finish.
The perfect binding process has the pages of the publication pass over a rotating knife, slightly grinding the spine, passing thru a hot glue pot, and pressing the glued pages into the cover. The pressing creates the squared spine, and provides the polished, professional finish.
Page sizes can range from 4” x 9” to 9” x 12” and can be printed either digital color or color offset. Cover page has several options for paper stock in a coated or uncoated finish.
Create the best experience possible for your readers, with high-quality publication, printing, finishing and mailing services from Heritage Signs & Displays. A recognized leader in publication printing!